Weigh-in on the "one sun" quandary.

Yva Xorna

Last week's ATV talked a lot about lighting. One thing that was said was that there was only going to be "one sun" and not multiple suns like they had planned before. Frankly I thought that was odd and I wasn't the only one. I  liked the previous concept with universes all over and multiple suns and planets. There is a current discussion going on at Spectrum in the Ask the Devs section as to what that comment actually meant. As  of this posting,  Devs had not responded and cleared it up though. Maybe he meant just one sun model?  Given the detail they are putting into the game elsewhere, though, that seems unusual.  Multiple suns would rock so I am hoping that is what we end up with. 

• Like 1

I thought it was something to do with the multiple-source lighting not looking right. 

As for the game taxing system, on the one hand what is the point of having new technology and pushing boundaries if no games are going to incorporate that technology?

My guess is for the gravity engine, Chris Roberts works very hard to make it as real as humanly possible, and gravity sources from 2 large suns might be difficult at this time. I imagine it will be added later on in the game. I mean this world is going to be so big they could easily add thing like that later on in the game and you wouldn't notice because you'd  be busy exploring, mining etc.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:40 AM, blendoman said:

My guess is for the gravity engine, Chris Roberts works very hard to make it as real as humanly possible, and gravity sources from 2 large suns might be difficult at this time. I imagine it will be added later on in the game. I mean this world is going to be so big they could easily add thing like that later on in the game and you wouldn't notice because you'd  be busy exploring, mining etc.

That is interesting. In the game as it is now is there gravity at all? Or are our thrusters on constantly even at small amounts to keep the ships completely stationary. From a Physics background that might become taxing computationally. Since every object that has a mass "technically" has a gravitational pull. Maybe this is limited to large objects? I do not know how this works in the game now. Can anyone shed some light?