My imminent surgery

Zhiv

Ok, as some of you know, I have a fibrous tumor on my left jaw bone.  I've had it now for 6 years or so, and I've been told it's benign (not bad). Well, at the urging of many of my friends here, as well as my family, I started the process of doctor's visits and what-not's to have it removed, almost 6 months ago.  I'm nearing the end of that journey, as I have a meeting with the doctors up at the University of North Carolina Medical Center next week to discuss the surgery.  Here's what I know right now.

The mass is part of the parotid gland (salivary if you will).  They're not uncommon to have, and most folks are smart enough to have them dealt with when they are small.  However, mine has been growing for a while, so I will have a few more complications to having it removed.  The first, and most important, is that the facial nerve intersects with the tumor.  So that's going to make a lengthy and delicate procedure so that I don't loose use of that nerve.  Secondly, the tumor has to be removed as it is starting to cause me great pain and migraines. And lastly, believe it or not, the tumor has actually started to have me denied jobs because of it.

I wanted to let everyone know what is going on, since I've been a ghost for the past few months.  Between finding another job, then getting it and losing it a week later due to negligence, my luck and mental health haven't been great lately. 

When I find out more, I'll let you know.  Now I have to find someway to pay the bills for the surgery.  Ugh.

• Like 1

• Executive
26 minutes ago, Zhiv said:

Ok, as some of you know, I have a fibrous tumor on my left jaw bone.  I've had it now for 6 years or so, and I've been told it's benign (not bad). Well, at the urging of many of my friends here, as well as my family, I started the process of doctor's visits and what-not's to have it removed, almost 6 months ago.  I'm nearing the end of that journey, as I have a meeting with the doctors up at the University of North Carolina Medical Center next week to discuss the surgery.  Here's what I know right now.

The mass is part of the parotid gland (salivary if you will).  They're not uncommon to have, and most folks are smart enough to have them dealt with when they are small.  However, mine has been growing for a while, so I will have a few more complications to having it removed.  The first, and most important, is that the facial nerve intersects with the tumor.  So that's going to make a lengthy and delicate procedure so that I don't loose use of that nerve.  Secondly, the tumor has to be removed as it is starting to cause me great pain and migraines. And lastly, believe it or not, the tumor has actually started to have me denied jobs because of it.

I wanted to let everyone know what is going on, since I've been a ghost for the past few months.  Between finding another job, then getting it and losing it a week later due to negligence, my luck and mental health haven't been great lately. 

When I find out more, I'll let you know.  Now I have to find someway to pay the bills for the surgery.  Ugh.

Glad to hear everything is at least moving forward, Zhiv! I am pretty confident that your surgery will go smoothly and without complications, I would not worry.

Keep thinking positive thoughts about what the future will bring after the tumor has been removed!

Please keep us posted as much as you can, and remember we are always here for you bro. 

/hug