Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yva Xorna

Other possible mining ships

9 posts in this topic

I was reading on the RSI forums in the Concierge tab  about other ships people plan to use for mining. 

The top mentions were:

Considering the amount of money they have spent on ships, I expected a better argument. 
Research and speculation is an important part of this game at this point.
I get that there is going to be a lot of molecularity in the game so some things can be swapped in and out.
But folks pointed out they want to have something fast, combat-ready and maneuverable.
Well that's dandy but lets not forget Job One of a mining ship would be....mining.
Unless their plan is to package up the resources to be picked up by a Hull or Caterpillar or something, then where are they putting that ore?
315P has 6 cargo; Herald zero; Reliant Sen 10; Terrapin zero; this is why the Prospector and the Orion are "the top" ships for mining.
And yes currently the Prospector only holds 128 to the Orion's 14040.

Personally, I went with the Prospector. The Orion is more of a one-man-army type but the Prospector was cheaper lol.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:12 AM, Shawkorrr said:

:35_thinking: Herald? Uhh.

Now I'm slightly confused.

Right? But somebody thought it was a good idea. Herald.....:13_upside_down:

2 hours ago, Yva Xorna said:

Right? But somebody thought it was a good idea. Herald.....:13_upside_down:

Who knows.

If we are able to have other ships equipped with mining lasers this would definitely occupy weapon slots. However this might get interesting when you try to optimize weapon and mining laser setup for each ship. I don't think they will make other ships more efficient than the ones already dedicated to mining. We will see how this will work though, we could see what kind of "all purpose" ship configurations people come up with.

Good Thoughts!

Yeah, Wazzy,  I'm also guessing the lasers could go in weapon slots. But if you have no cargo space, not sure what else could be taken off to add that. I think some ships, like a Hornet, maybe the turret could be swapped with a storage container of some sort. I'm assuming you'd need lots of cargo space to make it worthwhile though.  I'll stick with my Prospector for now though.

It stands to reason that a Mining laser would have a higher power consumption so we want ships with good coolers and Power Plants. As well as having a method to transport the minerals as Yva mentioned, so I'd stick a mining laser on the freelancer or Starfarer if we can 'auto crate' the ore.

Kakon yeah I'm not sure what their plans are for crating the ore. They have put a lot of detail into things so I am guessing that it would just be 50 unit and it magically forms itself into a container. I would think, based on the complex movements of just getting into a ship that there will be something similar type for boxing up ore.

Edited by Yva Xorna
Forgot the rest of the line.
1 person likes this