Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yva Xorna

Why is SC Windows-only?

2 posts in this topic

I am referring to a forum post at RSI by Profit_Hsssssss responded to by ABrown.CIG on March 13, 2017.

The question was posed as to whether or not SC may someday run on an operating system other than Windows.

The response is that the servers run Linux but that the client currently runs on Windows. It doesn't sound as if it is any sort of priority.

I was actually wondering this myself. I was thinking that the servers were probably already Linux (good guess Yva!) and was wondering why it isn't currently available in any flavor other than Windows. Because I occasionally dive head-first into super-nerdom, I have a Mac and a Linux computer in my arsenal. If i were making a game, cross-platform compatibility would be on my list of considerations. But, that it just my opinion. I assume most things are Windows-only not because Windows does it better but because whomever creates it happens to be using Windows.

I've read a few blog posts about Vulkan API vs. Microsoft's DirectX and but to me really it sounds like the developer's skill is the limiting factor. I see good points and room for improvement with both methods.

I do believe it is too costly because they would make the code for Apple etc, kinda like making a brand new game.

So that means Star Citizen would be twice as expensive? :s7: