Want to build new computer

gnume

I think it is time to replace my aging system. I first got it back in 2004 and upgraded the motherboard and CPU back in 2007. I want to be able to play games such as Battlefield 3, Star Wars The Old Republic, and Rift.

This is what I am looking at so far (and let me know if I am forgetting anything)

I didn't include the thermal paste for the CPU so I know I need to add that as well. Anything else I am missing? I am not worried about a Sound Card because I end up using headphones anyway so I figure why spend the money when the on-board will be fine. I also don't plan on going SLI anytime soon but may consider it in the future.

you should add in a solid start drive, all you need is for it to be large enough for the boot and the page file, there are a few windows hacks to put your programs and documented on the standard drive. with an ssd you will see a performance boost at boot and with any program that pages allot.

(ps.. maybe make sure you have room on the ssd for your favorite games)

you should add in a solid start drive, all you need is for it to be large enough for the boot and the page file, there are a few windows hacks to put your programs and documented on the standard drive. with an ssd you will see a performance boost at boot and with any program that pages allot.

(ps.. maybe make sure you have room on the ssd for your favorite games)

I have completed the build and it it up and operational!! I ended up adding a 120GB SSD and man, it sure makes a difference! I installed the OS and MS Office to it and will install everything else to the other drive. The computer boots in under a minute now. It is also super quiet. It is amazing so far as compared to my 2004 Alienware behemoth.

Pics coming soon!

if you had not already found out, the link is how to set the default user profile location in the reg.

linky

just do those settings then make a new user and your default profile will be on the none ssd drive to save space.

if you had not already found out, the link is how to set the default user profile location in the reg.

linky

just do those settings then make a new user and your default profile will be on the none ssd drive to save space.

I did change where it puts Documents, Pictures, Music, and Downloads...so those automatically go to the 2TB Drive.

• 1 month later...