We Choose Community: Goodbye World of Lootcraft

Shawkorrr

• Executive

-=------------------------------------=-

user posted image

Dear Sanctians,

In september 2006 "SancTuarY of Wanderhome" was created in World of Warcraft after we decided to move SancTuarY (SancT) from our old game, Star Wars Galaxies. This guild has always been about the community and we've made sure we've had a mature, skilled and awesome playerbase.

Ever since we came to WoW we've known this game was not made for communities to flourish in. But even so, we managed to make this game our home for years while flourishing and succeeding in everything we decided to do; PvP or PvE. Haters tried to kill this guild for years, and none of them succeeded in doing that. We stood strong through so much hate from people that didn't like that we succeeded in PvP and PvE. We simply brushed it off our shoulders because we know for damn sure that this was the price of success! Haterguild after haterguild fell apart infront of our eyes, which we knew they would do, and watching them failing misserably gave us even more motivation to keep on going! SancTuarY of Wanderhome on Illidan has been a success and we've had so much fun proving people wrong over and over again.

It is nothing new (it has been said for years) that we have been trying to find a different MMO to move to; Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Stargate Worlds, Warhammer, Conan.......none of those MMOs proved to be what we were looking for, and as of today none of those games have really become any better in time, and they are as good as dead at the moment. Now to move a successful guild like SancTuarY of Wanderhome is not taken lightly because there are so many people that has to be moved, but we see where World of Warcraft is heading; 'tis all about the loot, and that is something we find disgusting when we are trying to build a community with future real life friends in it. We've countless times seen long time friends leave because somebody else can give them a piece of loot... and that is just distateful!

Some weeks ago we found out Star Trek Online is being released in february 2010. So a few of our members went out to test out this new MMO in closed beta, and report back to the rest of the administration team in a quiet fashion so people wouldnt panic and leave before anything was decided. But after testing out Star Trek Online for some weeks, we have discovered that this is an extremely awesome game, and that is just the beta version of it! One of the most awesome parts of this game is that the overall community there is like a breath of fresh air, no Illidan trade chat ignorance! The servers at STO are growing for each day that goes by, even the developers are overwhelmed by how many people that is playing it. When you have been playing STO for some days and you log into World of Warcrack, yeah, you miss STO instantly and you just want to get the fudge out of World of Warcraft!

We accomplished what we came here for, and we've learned so much about gaming and how people think in-game as well as in real life. SancTuary of Wanderhome always did what they all decided to do, and it has been a great fun to play alongside guildies in battleground, raids, arenas and so much more for the years we've been in World of Warcraft ... but it is time to move on to something better; Star Trek Online!

We will not be running any raids, instances, battlegrounds, no nothing in World of Warcraft, we are 100pct done with that game.... time for you all to choose; stay with people that have been your friends for a long time and that care about who you are as a person and not what your toon wears, or you can stay in lootinfested World of Warcraft and play with loothungry kids.

If you are a member of SancTuarY of Wanderhome and you would like to come with us to Star Trek Online, you are more than welcome to join us over there. We are still in vent and will help you through it all if you wish. SancTuarY of Wanderhome will be the best of the best in the game for sure, and we already have a huge amount of skilled and dedicated players playing with us; even people from WoW! This will be our new home where we will flourish and keep on growing as a community!

If you are a member of SancTuarY of Wanderhome and want to keep on playing World of Warcraft we will respect if you wish to leave the guild in World of Warcraft, and you may return to us in Star Trek Online at a later time.

/salute

Shawkorrr

Guild Master

SancTuarY of Wanderhome

• Founder

Our time in WoW wasnt wasted.

We've met a good amount of awesome people while we were there. But we paid a good price for going to that game.

We watched countless good people turn into loot whores right in front of our eyes.

Did we leave because we couldnt hack it? Well, we had raid and guild leadership outside of myself that lead raids well and gave correct information to the members. Myself and others achieved feats in the game that a very low percentage of folks will ever achieve. No, we didnt leave because we couldnt hack it, but rather because of the community that we were subjected to while playing.

-Racists.

-Sexists.

-Opportunists who joined the guild for the promise of loot but only played 15-25% as hard as the rest of us who were in there to win and progress for the guilds sake.

-Malicious people who just logged into the game just to start drama.

-People who were literally afraid of the game and could not play it because of that fear.

-People who wasted the rest of our time in the raid, and played well only when they were yelled at or publicly ridiculed.

-Uneducated Trash, whose only goal is to log in and belittle as many people as they can.

-Emotionally unstable people who could not deal w/ any sort of criticism, polite or otherwise.

....the above kinds of people can be found anywhere in the world, but most of us here try and steer clear from these people w/ any of the above combinations of traits.

But what if 9/10 people you meet have most if not all of those traits in blue? Would you enjoy that particular community?

You probably wouldnt and that is where SoW found itself every month in Illidan. And the game itself bred these types of people. In World of Warcraft the only thing you kept during the life of your account that was material were your mounts and non-combat pets. Gear was everything and people would do anything and everything to get that gear.

As far as competition is concerned, I never felt like it was Us vs. Evolution, or Us vs. Shards of Existence, or Us vs. Hoax, or Us vs. Hateforge, or Us vs. Rockn Roll Hoochie Coo. It always felt like it was Us vs. Blizzard

We are a guild focused on community, that plays hard when its time to play hard. Blizzard wanted us to all play hard using as much time as our RL's would allow or disperse and find others who could devote a large majority of their life to the game.

We did well trying to stay community focused, but Blizzard's game always stressed and tested our mettle, not as gamers but as dignified people. We always did things in a manner that would allow us to experience all facets of the game while trying not to be too imposing. But the game literally would not allow us to do that, and in turn slowly started to create the cesspool of fickle people described above in blue. People that sometimes we tolerated in our guild because "we needed to make sure the raids could run for the week".

Ive seen good natured really cool people turn into loot addict, crack whore-esque, people right before my eyes, while playing this game.

...and watching people I thought were good people change like that, effectively started changing me and the way I looked at newcomers to our guild.

In WoW, you were "a lootwhore until proven otherwise" when you entered our guild. And after 100's of lootwhores passed through our gates, we were more than justified in our thought process in that manner.

I didnt notice how complacent we had become w/ that thought process until we started recruiting in Star Trek Onine.

We immediately met awesome people when we started recruiting in STO. Intelligent, personable people. It normally takes 100-200 recruits on Illidan to find ONE, yes ONE of these types of folks....and weve met at least 5 while recruiting IN BETA.

We leave WoW with a clear conscious and we log into a game and log into a community that feels like a breath of fresh air compared to Illidan. Can you believe that the people in STO actually give us RESPECT for being a 7 year old guild??!?!?! s16.gif Amazing Right?! For a second there I thought running a guild that has a community OLDER than the game we play was irrelevant.

No more Anal jokes, no more nig***r this and that.........yes, like a breath of fresh air. s19.gif

So.....F*** World of Warcraft, and least importantly f*** every single one of you that tried to ruin our guild while we were there. You failed, and were laughably horrible at what you tried to do. You had absolutely no chance in hell yet you thought you could destroy us. You just werent nearly smart enough, and you totally underestimated our resilience.

So with all that said, Ill end this with a msg to Blizzard and the Haters...

"

POP OFF BITCHES" ....WE BACK IN OUTER SPAY-CE!!!

user posted image

I plan on playing both WoW and STO. WoW because I have IRL friends playing , and STO because I want to stay in touch with SancT members and have met some really awesome people.

I personally don't want to go to a different WoW guild. And was wondering if SancT will be disbanding on WoW? Or staying for those who either can't play STO or dont want to? It may be harder for people to leave WoW more then others. s35.gif

I'm totally in agreement with everything that has been said in the two original posts and I for one am stoked about moving away from WoW.

I remember my first experience with SancT. At the time, I was in the "Galactic Alliance" guild in SWG and my best in game friend Aelfric Starstriker told me that SancT was defending a hill outside Mos Espa on Tatooine and was looking for help. So I joined the group and got the vent info. We PvPed against Imperials for I don't know how long. Afterwards, everyone, Alliance AND Imperial went on the roof of one of the buildings in Mos Eisley, where the devs had set up the band from Jabba's palace to entertain. I was the only one from GA who went and was sitting alone in a corner, lol. Yva saw me and asked me in vent to join their table. Astrus passed out drinks to everyone and we have a virtual toast "TO SANCT AND TO THE ALLIANCE". Elsewhere on the roof, other groups toasted their respective guilds and factions and everyone just spent time there hanging out. Shortly thereafter, GA was in the process of disbanding slowly and painfully and I applied to SancT.

The point is, we've been in WoW for 3-4 years now and in 3-4 years nothing like that has EVER REMOTELY happened. Blizzard has made it that way. You can't even ask a question without having to wade through 4000 smartass answers to find what you are looking for. Blizzard has made is virtually impossible to even TALK to anyone on the Horde side save for vent, though if they did, it would probably be far worse.

I won't miss WoW one bit. I may pop in from time to time, but I'll be much happier doing whatever with the friends I've made over the past 5 years. I was offered $300 to sell Jasko to some local company here in Raleigh....and while I'll doubt I'll do it for security reasons, I can't lie and say it didn't cross my mind.

I haven't played WoW in 6 months because, quite frankly, the content didn't excite me. The game was a grind. The loot must-have to 'succeed'. And most of the community hated everyone else.

But I've been with SancTuarY since mid-2005, after my other guild moved on to WoW, and Astrus and the gang (musical group...hmmm?) have treated me awesome and with the uttmost respect. They've strived to help me play better in-game, and become a better person IRL.

So, I'm happy to see SoW leaving WoW. Because WoW has damaged way too many friendships simply because of the loot. Good job Blizzard. Hope you guys can handle the drastic pay cut that's coming your way.

On a side note, some one put all the stuff in guild bank up for sale on AH before we leave and then sell the gold to one of those gold sites... It's not like banning our accounts will matter after today anyways....

• Founder
So, I'm happy to see SoW leaving WoW.  Because WoW has damaged way too many friendships simply because of the loot.

42771[/snapback]

-=ATTENTION SoW WoW PLAYERS THAT INTEND TO STAY IN WoW=-

If you are in SoW in WoW and chose to play the game, you are welcome to stay in the guild, however....

Recruitment in the WoW guild has been halted, forever.

The guild bank assets will also be frozen, forever.

The above will never be changed so please dont ask. Those of you who have given to the guild bank, please know that we WILL REMEMBER your generosity if you gave exceptionally to the guild, and that respect supersedes World of Warcraft.

Those of you who are still playing WoW and chose to leave the guild can do so understanding that we will not "hold the grudge" we did with other ex-members in WoW.

...also know that you are welcome to join us in STO whenever it finally hits you that you're playing a shi**y game, full of people who don't really like you, but rather use you for what you can get them in game.

Good Luck.

Goodbye World of Warcraft! I hope to be able to join you guys when the game is released. Sanctuary of Wanderhome has been a home for me, I only wished that I could have contributed more to everyone by being in raids. I would like to continue playing with everyone in Santuary of Wanderhome in STO. I have met some truely amazing people while in this guild. The community is what keeps me coming back. Sanctuary of Wanderhome is an awesome place to me, there is no better place to be!

• Founder
Goodbye World of Warcraft! I hope to be able to join you guys when the game is released. Sanctuary of Wanderhome has been a home for me, I only wished that I could have contributed more to everyone by being in raids. I would like to continue playing with everyone in Santuary of Wanderhome in STO. I have met some truely amazing people while in this guild. The community is what keeps me coming back. Sanctuary of Wanderhome is an awesome place to me, there is no better place to be!

42797[/snapback]

Youre welcome to join us bro.

Be sure to hurry and grab a preorder so you can get an in-game item.

Id suggest getting the one from Amazon.com. But you can get more and stack them on one acct if you like.

Check the STO forums for more info! s46.gif

Youre welcome to join us bro.

Be sure to hurry and grab a preorder so you can get an in-game item.

Id suggest getting the one from Amazon.com. But you can get more and stack them on one acct if you like.

Check the STO forums for more info!  s46.gif

42798[/snapback]

Speaking of the ingame item...how do I turn on my pet shuttle?

This thread is about 2 peoples disbanding a good wow guild, locking its bank - in fact stealing from its members by doing so - and trying to force people into wasting money on Star Trek Online.

ATTENTION TO ALL THAT HAD NOT PLAYED THE BETA OF STO :

STAR TREK ONLINE "GAME" IS AN EPIC FAIL.

CHECK ONE OF MANY THREADS ON OFFICIAL FORUMS TO SEE WHY.

Everything i can think of is broken in sto.

Game is boring and repetitive.

There is no endgame content whatsoever.

Game is more instanced than Guild Wars - its not really an mmo.

There is nothing to do in the game besides flying around.

No matter how you hate WoW you will CRY to go back to it after a week in STO.

Game is in a much worse state than Age of Conan was when it shipped and you can be sure it will die off in a month or so.

Do not be foreced into buying it !!!

Now - hope you read that before one of the fanboy mods deletes the thread.

This thread is about 2 peoples disbanding a good wow guild, locking its bank - in fact stealing from its members by doing so - and trying to force people into wasting money on Star Trek Online.

Game is in a much worse state than Age of Conan was when it shipped and you can be sure it will die off in a month or so.

42887[/snapback]

If you want to voice your opinion so bad then there is no need to hide behind a fake account. Saying that locking the guild bank is stealing only shows that you donated (maybe) to the G bank expecting to get it back in return rather then in the good nature of the guild. s2.gifs2.gifs2.gif

• Like 1

• Executive

42887[/snapback]

Astrus, I think I've done too good on the STO forums lol.

... the STO/WoW haters have arrived!

Hehe, we've been in STO for weeks and are loving every single second we play it s16.gif

This game is awesome.

Thank you for your comments though, draclepl, you're a nice proof what quality most of WoW players have.

Nice try though s48.gif

• Like 1

And away.... we ... go....

Everything i can think of is broken in sto. ... in beta

Game is boring and repetitive... in beta

There is no endgame content whatsoever.... so there's no loot waiting for you

Game is more instanced than Guild Wars - its not really an mmo... so maybe no waiting for 2 hours in queue?

There is nothing to do in the game besides flying around...as opposed to riding in circles round dalaran shouting "anal [this and that]

No matter how you hate WoW you will CRY to go back to it after a week in STO... account cancelled. Not interested.

So how about you go back to WoW and stop stirring *crap* up around here. Some of us are leaving, some are staying. It's really not up to you what we do or don't do. If you have been a member of the guild as long as some, your opinion might be welcome, but since you can't even do the decency of using your real name, who cares?

• Founder

42887[/snapback]

Thanks Draclept (if thats even your "real" name), you just helped us make the decision to never disband SoW in wow just so people can log in and see that the gold and items were never touched...ever.

All of the gold in the guild bank is still there and will stay there ...forever. Anyone w/ an alt can check that and see.

/checkmate. s46.gif

Bye the way, No one will delete your post in this thread. You just helped us make our point that the people in WoW are not the kind of people we'd like to spend our free time with. And I encourage anyone still left in that game to join us in STO for that reason.

• Founder
.... and least importantly f*** every single one of you that tried to ruin our guild while we were there. You failed, and were laughably horrible at what you tried to do. You had absolutely no chance in hell yet you thought you could destroy us. You just werent nearly smart enough, and you totally underestimated our resilience.

42754[/snapback]

lol...I think the above got Dracle all in a tizzy. s44.gif

I find it amusing that after 6 years or so of proper MMO'ing i finally come across a few people who think along the same lines as myself :P.

For a large period of my COH time i helped run the 3rd ranked supergroup on the EU Defiant server. We had a lot of the same problems, the leader wasn't very smart and just wanted numbers and people to fill up task force teams (raids kinda). A lot of these children were loot whores and probably didn't even know what a comic book actually was. I started to think that everyone was an *butthole* until proven otherwise, but i didn't like having to think that way, it just became my nature. It even went so far as me becoming the appointed "Crucible Captain" or the king of kick as it became....because i was the only person who was willing to punish or remove people if they did cause problem within the group (griefers/spammers/thieves).

One of the good points about STO i find is they have tried their hardest to make it a non-loot-based game. End game content is meant to be more based towards becoming more challenging and requiring proper tactics. Yes there is still "epic loots" to be had, and there will always be people trying to horde them all for themselves to sell on the exchange, in honesty when i was on the forums i didn't know who was in the wrong tbh, the mine farming escorts or the people crying over how they wrnt getting the best loot and screaming for these exploiters to be banned.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents >_> kinda rambled on a bit lol s33.gif

• Like 1

• Founder
I find it amusing that after 6 years or so of proper MMO'ing i finally come across a few people who think along the same lines as myself :P.

For a large period of my COH time i helped run the 3rd ranked supergroup on the EU Defiant server. We had a lot of the same problems, the leader wasn't very smart and just wanted numbers and people to fill up task force teams (raids kinda). A lot of these children were loot whores and probably didn't even know what a comic book actually was. I started to think that everyone was an *butthole* until proven otherwise, but i didn't like having to think that way, it just became my nature. It even went so far as me becoming the appointed "Crucible Captain" or the king of kick as it became....because i was the only person who was willing to punish or remove people if they did cause problem within the group (griefers/spammers/thieves).

One of the good points about STO i find is they have tried their hardest to make it a non-loot-based game. End game content is meant to be more based towards becoming more challenging and requiring proper tactics. Yes there is still "epic loots" to be had, and there will always be people trying to horde them all for themselves to sell on the exchange, in honesty when i was on the forums i didn't know who was in the wrong tbh, the mine farming escorts or the people crying over how they wrnt getting the best loot and screaming for these exploiters to be banned.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents >_> kinda rambled on a bit lol s33.gif

42930[/snapback]

Dont worry about it bro lol, we are as glad as you are to be out of groups like that and are glad we have a like minded member to have in our ranks. :)

• Like 1

The haters come, the haters go. Just the fact that our guild has been around for soooo long is proof that we don't let neighsayers influence guild politics.

So freaking what...we locked the guild bank. So freaking what...we disbanded the WoW side of our guild. Dude, grow the f* up and get a clue. And besides, something tells me that you could be spending your time more wisely bettering yourself as a person (like most, if not all, of the folks in our guild) than pissing on fire seeing if you can put it out.

SoW has been around since 03. I see it lasting well into the future. Astrus, Shaw, and many many others have seen to that fact already.

So, go piss up another tree, cuz this guild doesn't care about the likes of you and your posse.

The haters come, the haters go.  Just the fact that our guild has been around for soooo long is proof that we don't let neighsayers influence guild politics.

So freaking what...we locked the guild bank.  So freaking what...we disbanded the WoW side of our guild.  Dude, grow the f* up and get a clue.  And besides, something tells me that you could be spending your time more wisely bettering yourself as a person (like most, if not all, of the folks in our guild) than pissing on fire seeing if you can put it out.

SoW has been around since 03.  I see it lasting well into the future.  Astrus, Shaw, and many many others have seen to that fact already.

So, go piss up another tree, cuz this guild doesn't care about the likes of you and your posse.

42957[/snapback]

Epic sig. Nicely said.